Saturday, May 9, 2015

Mac OS X setup for Web Development


Here's my current setup for programming and web development in Mac OS X. I recently set up my Macbook again, and set out to write this post to remember what to do next time. This is the first step towards having a nice script that sets all this up for me, in the vein of thoughtbot's `laptop` or GitHub's Boxen.

I'm looking for things that I could improve from this setup, or additional tools to enhance my workflow. If you have any, or just want to share your setup, comments are at the bottom.

  • Enable filevault encription on the initial Mac OS X setup:
  • remove docked apps from dock
  • Install homebrewruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)"
  • Install some command line apps with it:
    • git: latest version, since the one coming with Mac OS X is pretty old
    • hub: to create Pull Requests on GitHub from the command line
    • vim: for lightweight text editing
    • watch: to make heroku ps refresh, basically
    • postgres: open source database with full text search and lots more goodies
      • use  `createdb ` to setup user database
    • mongo: NoSQL database
  • Install homebrew cask: brew install caskroom/cask/brew-cask
  • Install some Mac apps with it, and configure them. I mainly use the keyboard to interface with the computer, so lots of them are related to that.
  • Install Grid for workspace window management:
  • Configure Keyboard on "Settings" to tab between all controls:
  • Install ohmyzshcurl -L https://raw.github.com/robbyrussell/oh-my-zsh/master/tools/install.sh | sh
  • Bring back dotfiles from my GitHub repo
  • Set up global gitignore: git config --global core.excludesfile ~/.gitignore_global

No comments:

Post a Comment